As the Nudgee Recreation Reserve Improvement Project approaches its final stages, a remarkable display of community empowerment is taking centre stage following the confirmation that Football Queensland will lease the site.
Utilising state-of-the-art sports amenities and community spaces, the unique collaboration between Brisbane City Council and Football Queensland is seen as an exceptional avenue for grassroots engagement.
Initiated by BCC in late April 2022, the Nudgee Recreation Reserve Improvement Project spans an impressive 12.5 hectares. This initiative represented a collaborative effort to repurpose a former landfill into a thriving recreational hub.
“Football Queensland are looking forward to working with our community clubs and schools, creating more places for the local community to play football and deliver more programs to improve the football experience for participants of all ages, abilities and backgrounds, ” Cr Adam Allan said in an announcement made with LM Adrian Schrinner and Football Queensland CEO Robert Cavallucci.
The comprehensive scope of the transformation of the Nudgee Recreation Reserve includes:
- shared use sporting fields that will cater to multiple sports including touch football, cricket and soccer
- sports field lighting to improve night-time visibility and safety for park users
- a new 223-space car park and pathway connections to Nudgee Train Station and Railway Street for easy access
- a new clubhouse with change rooms, canteen, storage, meeting rooms and public toilets.
- a dog off leash area
- BMX track
- playground, picnic settings with shelters and barbeque facility
- walking/running/cycling path
Targetting completion by December 2023, the project’s timeline remains contingent on weather conditions and on-site progress.
“A huge thank you to the community for your patience while works have been undertaken during the course of the upgrade project. I look forward to keeping the community updated as the works progress towards completion,” Cr Adams said, adding that the steadfast support of the community has been a driving force throughout the transformation of the Nudgee Recreation Reserve.