Nudgee State School: A Long and Proud History and an Enduring Legacy

Nudgee State School
Photo Credit: Website/ Brisbane Local Heritage Places

Established in 1874, Nudgee State School was a cornerstone of the community for more than 125 years, providing education to generations of local families and playing a crucial role in the development of the area. Now a community centre, the old building is a constant reminder of how important the school was to the North Brisbane community.



Nudgee State School started as a temporary school on Nudgee Road in a simple slab hut. In 1875, it quickly became a state school with its own house and a place for the teachers to live. The school had its ups and downs, and over the years, the number of students changed.


 


When the school moved to a more central spot on Earnshaw Road in 1928, it was a big change. This new building had modern features to meet the needs of the growing number of students.

Photo Credit: Website/ Brisbane Local Heritage Places

Even though it had a long history, things changed in 2000. The Queensland government wanted to combine this school with the nearby Banyo High School to make a P-12 school. The city supported the idea, and money from the sale of Nudgee State School went towards paying for the new structure.

A Timeline of Events

1874

Nudgee State School (initially named Nudgee Provisional School) opened on April 6, located on Nudgee Road. The first teacher, Arthur Percival Hancock, started teaching in a slab hut with a shingle roof. The school was built on a two-acre block donated near Toombul and Nudgee Roads.

Tower Ad

1875

Due to dissatisfaction with the initial structure, a new building with a school room and a two-bedroom teacher’s residence were completed on June 28.

1882

Nudgee Railway Station and Goods Shed opened on May 11, boosting local transport and services.

1922

A local deputation requested a new school from the Minister for Public Administration on March 29 due to population growth and cramped conditions.

1924

The teacher’s residence at the original site was sold and moved in March.

1928

New school building (now ‘A’ Block) erected on Earnshaw Road, opened in June at a cost of ₤1,785, coinciding with the school’s 50th Jubilee celebrations. The new location was near Banyo and Nudgee townships, chosen for its proximity to local railway stations.

1954

School commenced at Banyo State High School in January with 320 students.

2000

Nudgee School featured in the Banyo Nudgee Heritage Trail book as a site of local heritage significance.

2003

Nudgee School closed in June. The school, including its preschool and primary sections, was amalgamated into the new “super school” of Earnshaw State College (formerly Banyo High School).

Photo Credit: Website/ Brisbane Local Heritage Places

The story of Nudgee State School shows how education needs to change over time and how important it is for communities to be involved. The school is no longer there, but its dedication to learning and love for its children lives on in the hearts of people today and tomorrow.



Published Date 13-April-2024